VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FROM BEGINNING OF APRIL
Action for Education are excited to be opening a new dedicated space for refugee children aged 2 - 7 on the island of Samos, Greece. In partnership with The Pedagogical Institute of Los Angeles, this new centre will be a vital, safe place outside the camp where young children can be supported and guided in continuing their learning journey.
Key responsibilities of the job include:
- Providing appropriate support and guidance to children in The Nest
- Providing social support including maintaining an environment that builds the confidence, resilience and self-esteem of children
- Motivating and encouraging children
- Attending regular planning meetings
- Attending fortnightly trainings
- Reporting any child or adult protection concerns to the Protection focal points
- Remaining flexible based on the project needs
- Assist in AFE’s other programmes on the island, as required
- Cleaning of the spaces twice a day along with the rest of the volunteer team
- Receiving trainings delivered remotely by The Pedagogical Institute of Los Angeles and following their pedagogy to ensure consistent and effective implementation of the programme
Your set of skills:
- Experience in teaching, preferably in early childhood education
- An awareness of migration issues and sensitivity to working with vulnerable communities
- You share our vision of a world in which everyone has equal chances to education.
- Multi-tasker who performs well under pressure.
- Willing to give long hours in a variety of roles and tasks
Volunteers are responsible to covering transport costs to and from the island. Shared accommodation is provided in our volunteer flat, though we each contribute a small amount (€20) to shared apartment pot every week to cover some of the flat costs and to purchase communal food.
Minimum commitment: 6 weeks. Ideal Commitment: 2+ months