The Engage Language Centre is an educational space providing language and other services for asylum seekers from 24 years old and of all backgrounds, abilities and levels in Chios island, Greece.
We are looking for a volunteer English teacher who is interested and committed to contributing a minimum of three months full time to this project (including two weeks mandatory quarantine time due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
About the project:
Traditionally, the Language Centre opens Monday-Saturday, with a set timetable of classes and activities. We have 10 English classes ranging from beginners to upper-intermediate. Students are assigned to a class depending on their level. Each class is an hour and half, 3 times a week. Students are also able to learn Greek, French and German, if there is staff available. Other services available at the centre are free sessions with volunteer lawyer teams on the island, art, conversation, reading and gardening activities. The centre has a very friendly welcoming atmosphere while delivering a high standard of language education.
Due to the unprecedented times caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we will need to adapt our class schedule in order to comply with COVID-19 restrictions.
Upon re-opening, and due to the restrictions, we will be operating a shift system with one class in the centre at any given time.
This schedule may change over the weeks as we will need to adapt to changing government restrictions. Hence we are looking for flexible people, who will be comfortable with schedule changes and generally, comfortable to work in a rather unpredictable situation.
As a volunteer teacher, you will be part of the early phase of the project which will involve welcoming the students back to the Language Centre as well as upholding the friendly and respectful atmosphere and ethos of the Centre. While we aim to deliver a high standard of language education, the creation of a safe, peaceful and accepting space for our students is of equal importance.
- Teach English to different class levels for at least 7,5h per week.
- Plan, create and organise your own lesson plans and classroom activities (with guidance & support from existing curriculum).
- Prepare study packs for the students to study outside of the LC as each class level will for the time being meet only once a week.
- Set the correct tone and atmosphere of the Language Centre - a calm, comfortable, clean, positive and welcoming environment.
- Ensure COVID-19 protocols are followed by students and teachers.
- Support other teachers and the team on a day-to-day basis.
- A fluent English speaker.
- A TEFL or CELTA certificate.
- Previous classroom experience teaching English.
- Commit for a minimum of 3 months.
- Sensitivity towards our student population.
- Able to work well as part of a team.
- Flexible and able to cope in a fluctuating context.
- Clean DBS (police/background check).
- Able to teach Greek, French or German.
- Able to drive/willing to drive in Chios.
- Two weeks quarantine in separate accommodation.
- Free accommodation post quarantine. A shared room, in a well maintained house with other volunteer teachers.
- Free transportation for professional purposes.
Send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com