A Drop in the Ocean was founded in September 2015, and has since then organised almost 6000 volunteers to go to Greece, where the need for help is high. Our purpose is to provide immediate and direct aid to refugees. This is done by coordinating volunteers to travel to our destinations in Greece. Aid workers assist with providing services and activities in the camps and in our community centres. The tasks are constantly changing, depending on the needs of the various destinations. We currently operate in four locations around Greece, running projects and services both in and around refugee camps.
We are urgently looking for a long term volunteer interested in becoming Team Leader for our Drop Centre in Moria village on Lesvos, who can commit for at least 6 weeks.
The Team Leader is responsible for the day-to-day running of the centre, training new volunteers, and engaging with coordinators to ensure the project is working effectively. The Drop Centre is a safe space where the residents of nearby Moria camp can come to relax, learn, develop their skills and have a break. At the centre we offer a varied programme of activities; including informal education for adults and children, chess club, computer classes, women's space, sewing, yoga and painting classes.
· Develop and maintain routines to ensure that the project runs efficiently.
· Train new volunteers in the activities
· Manage a team of international and resident volunteers during opening hours
· Maintain a safe environment
· Report weekly to the onsite coordinators
· Maintain a daily and weekly schedule
· Oversee cleaning and maintenance of the centre
· Work with the Project Coordinator to ensure that the project always has sufficient equipment
· Project management experience
· Good interpersonal skills
· Service minded and solution oriented
· Experience with humanitarian work is advantageous
· Criminal record check is required
· Fluency in English. Greek is desirable. Arabic/Kurmanji/French/Urdu/Farsi skills advantageous.
To be considered for the Team Leader role, please send your CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com marked “Team Leader Lesvos”.
Please include your availability and for how long you are able to commit in your application email.
After 2 weeks as a volunteer you will be eligible to apply for a stipend to cover living costs, renewable with every 4 week commitment thereafter.
More information about volunteering with A Drop in the Ocean is available here: https://www.drapenihavet.no/en/home/