The Preschool Teacher will implement I AM YOU’s preschool program. The main aim of the role is to ensure that a high standard of education excellence is being offered in areas identified as necessary and to facilitate psychosocial and recreational activities for refugee children in order to create a safe and protective environment inside of the classroom.
Accountability and Relationship
- Reports to Education Coordinator
- Works closely with the Preschool Assistant Volunteer
- Program Implementation
- Organize and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development, such as games, arts and crafts, music and storytelling.
- Teach basic skills such as numeracy, literacy, social skills and personal hygiene.
- Create a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, and demonstrate activities to children.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Administer assessments to help determine children's developmental levels, needs, and potential.
- Monitor student progression and use of resources.
- Observe and evaluate children’s performance, behaviour, social development, and physical health.
- Organize and label materials, and display students' work in a manner appropriate for their ages and perceptual skills.
- Serve meals and snacks in accordance with nutritional guidelines provided by the Education Coordinator.
- Assimilate arriving children to the school environment by greeting them, helping them remove outerwear, and selecting activities of interest to them.
- Track and Monitor
- Maintain the upkeep of preschool learning spaces.
- Track and record attendance by maintaining accurate and complete student records as required by I AM YOU and MOE recommendations.
- Write weekly and monthly reports in accordance with Education Coordinator requirements and submit to the Education Coordinator within required time frame.
- Identify children showing signs of emotional, developmental, or health-related problems, and report/discuss them with the Education Coordinator. Follow through with next steps decided and approved by the Education Coordinator. Discussing/ Reporting to other camp actors is restricted to members of the management team only.
- Enforce all administration policies and rules governing students.
- Select, store, order, issue, and inventory classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- For students with disabilities or special needs, EC will assess if assisted support could be provided on a case by case basis.
- Child Protection
- Ensure a safe and friendly atmosphere at all times during activities.
- Promote inclusion and equal access to every child.
- Identify and report any child protection issues to the Education Coordinator.
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding information of beneficiaries.
- Provide one to one support to the preschool assistant volunteer when needed.
- Plan and delegate tasks and assignments for the preschool assistant volunteer.
- Assign and support the planning of lessons to be taught by the preschool assistant volunteer once daily per class, for a period of 20 - 30 minutes.
- Collaborate with Education Coordinator in the development, evaluation, and revision of preschool programs; specifically, the development of the lesson plans following approved curricula.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Foster good working relationships with the Management team
- Oversee monthly spending budget allocated by the Education Coordinator
- Report spending to Education Coordinator on a monthly basis
- Contribute to fundraising effort
- Assist in community outreach on a weekly basis and/or as needed.
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress and needs, determine priorities for their children, and suggest ways that they can promote learning and development at least twice in a 6 month cycle.
Skills and experience:
- 1 year teaching experience
- Qualified preschool teacher
- Ability to multitask and quickly assimilate into a multicultural environment
- Proficient in English is a must, proficiency in Greek desired
- Comfortable using a computer, Microsoft Office and G-Suite
The successful candidate should be autonomous, dynamic, empathetic, thorough, an organized self-starter with solid interpersonal skills. It is also expected that the candidate will represent I AM YOU in all networking opportunities and ensure that any fundraising opportunity is acted upon.
Must be at least 24 years of age
Background check clearance
5 day week 10:00 - 16:30
Public holidays are discussed on an ad hoc/need basis
What we offer:
- 30 days off
- Opportunity to work in an NGO that is growing and has an ambitious growth plan
- Chance to help shape the operations of I AM YOU
The work is supported by a monthly stipend and the ideal candidate will be available for 6 months minimum. You are expected to pay for your own flights, meals, and accommodation during your stay. I AM YOU sponsors its staff and volunteers with shared transport on location.
Apply at www.iamyou.se/volunteer