We are looking for volunteer teachers for a minimum commitment of 10 weeks, to deliver English classes to refugees and asylum seekers in Ioannina and the Epirus region. The ideal candidate(s) will have experience teaching English as a foreign/second language and will possess a strong understanding of or passion for the context we work in (refugee crisis). Experience delivering educational activities to vulnerable populations is a strong advantage.
The role will include:
- Delivering daily classes to the population at assigned site;
- Preparing class materials;
- Ensuring student engagement and progress;
- Working closely with the Programme Manager to ensure the programme is being delivered to the expected standards of Second Tree;
- Degree in teaching and/or Certification in English language teaching (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA or equivalent);
- Be accountable and efficient, making sure that tasks that you take up are completed in the agreed timeframe
- Be honest and transparent, being able to give and receive feedback in the most straightforward way
- Have a strong sense of humor, being able to make fun of yourself is key
- Care for people, the interests of the people we work with should always be your first concern
- Instil the values above in the people that work with you
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-level classroom;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload;
- Ability to work in a high-intensity environment;
- Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to teaching and classroom management;
- Strong communication, inter-personal and writing skills;
- Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner;
- Experience working in the refugee context;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations;
Although acquiring certification is the intended long-term objective, we expect our teachers to ensure that the following objectives are realized in the immediate term:
- To support the psycho-social and intellectual development of refugees and asylum seekers
- To empower them with interpersonal – and life – skills
- To enable access to quality learning resources
- To develop their English language skills in preparation for certification
- To strengthen their ability to enter formal education and/or the workplace
- To foster their integration into European society
- Accommodation in a shared house.
- Transportation to/from work.
- After completion of a three month trial, if you commit long-term, small monthly expenses refund.
In certain periods of the year, demand is extremely high, and the volunteer houses might be full. If you have the means to pay for your own accommodation, please let us know. We would still be happy to host you if space is available. However, in a situation where the volunteer houses are full, this would allow us to offer a volunteering opportunity to someone that cannot afford to pay rent.
Please send the following to Giovanni Fontana at: email@example.com
1) Your CV
2) Your cover letter
3) Copy of your teaching qualifications
In your mail, please:
4) Put “English Teacher Candidate” as the subject line
5) Specify the dates you would be available to volunteer (starting date and length)
6) At the end of the email, copy-paste the link of the ad you are responding to
If the application includes all of these we will get back to you in a maximum of 48hs.