Immediate roles that are available include:
-sewing and handcraft lead; organizing creative, hands on workshops and projects for the women who attend our center.
-children’s activities team members; leading and supporting fun and educational activities for the children of the beneficiaries.
-URGENT* Reception, Communications and Administration support needed for Irida women centre for September 2018
We are looking for one volunteer (woman) for the month of September and early October, to replace a staff member who will be away (with potential for future extension).
You will get the chance to work in a lively women’s centre in Thessaloniki - serving women and children, who are a mix of refugees, migrants or local women. We are a new project, having opened in January, and are constantly evolving and adapting to the needs of our members, both old and new. Since its opening, we have become very popular - many women have told us how this space has improved their well-being, given them the opportunity to make new friends and connections, and gives them a reason to get out of their house during the day.
We are looking for new volunteers for many roles in the centre, which you can see on our website.
In this role you will be play a key part in the centre, as you will be a friendly face for all the women and children who come here. We are looking for someone who has a friendly and patient personality, is used to working with people from different nationalities and backgrounds, and is able to act respectfully and professionally.
You will be key in the running and organisation of the centre, and you will be expected to do a variety of activities:
- Work on the reception desk
- Welcome the women who are visiting the space, and helping to organise their schedule
- Make new registrations and making sure that newcomers will feel comfortable and safe from their first visit to Irida.
- Use Whatsapp and other communication methods to send important information, schedules, and messages to our members.
- Make sure that everyone feels comfortable and safe at Irida and women’s needs are being addressed
- Communicate with translators in order to translate information, and translate the weekly schedule
- Help write social media posts
- Help with administrative work
Skills needed :
1. Good use of English language (knowledge of Greek , Arabic ,Farsi, Turkish or Sorani is very welcome but not obligatory)
2. Comfortable with using technology: laptops, phones, and the Google platform (Drive,
3. Knowledge of Whatsapp and Viber use
4. Good communication skills, even across language barriers.
5. Comfortable working with people from different nationalities, religions and backgrounds, and respectful of these differences
6. Friendly, patient and respectful personality.
7. Experience working with refugees, or working in a similar position, is desirable.
8. Able to work in a flexible grassroots NGO, which at the same time emphasizes the importance of professionalism. You will be expected to follow our working guidelines which have resulted from our two years working with refugee communities in Thessaloniki, whilst also being able to contribute your ideas.
9. Work with the whole team to keep Irida a clean and safe space
What we can offer:
1. Training regarding your position
2. Accomodation in the city centre
3. A friendly and lively work environment
There are many other tasks that we complete together and separately as a team to keep the center running smoothly such as cleaning, social media updates and regular meetings.
Language skills in Arabic, Farsi and Greek are a big plus but not a requirement.
Ideally we are seeking a minimum commitment of 1 month.
For more information please contact Matthew at firstname.lastname@example.org
complete our inquiry form here: https://goo.gl/forms/BD2JB01ZCh7tPY2S2